TezGraph is a GraphQL API that provides access to historic and real-time data from the Tezos blockchain. TezGraph is opensource (MIT), offered as a public API, and packaged to operate privately.
TezGraph gives easy access to data to casual users and developers. The API is well documented and easy to explore using the GraphQL playground console.
- The ability to query historical and real-time blockchain data using Tezos RPC directly is time-consuming. There are operational considerations for applications since it takes time to traverse the blockchain, and development considerations since more in-depth knowledge of the Tezos domain are required.
Building its own indexer solution by every wallet application or dApp developer is not feasible. Current indexer solutions require ramp-up time and need client tools to be a good fit for development environments.
- Development solutions that provide effective and simple subscriptions and notifications for near real-time new blockchain events are not as developed and hence not adopted by applications. Events notification could trigger workflows and/or business rules based on the changes to enrich end-user experiences.
Information points that require significant effort:
- account's balance
- account operations within a period
- most recent real-time operations
- smart contract execution
- paged results of the above
- Existing Tezos indexing offerings are typically available as a SaaS and operated by a single entity. Centralized indexer infrastructure puts the risk on builders. It is possible to self-host an indexer, but the undertaking to self-host an incumbent indexer is non-trivial and introduces cost.
- Allows to provide richer end-user experiences
- Faster development cycle and quicker adoption due to:
- Indexed blockchain data at your fingertips
- Simplicity. Straightforward API, easy to use technology, and out of the box indexed data
- Compatibility. Easy to use with various technologies and applications, GraphQL has mature client libraries readily available for all major programming languages, including OCaml/Reason, Haskell, Rust, etc.
- Discoverability. GraphQL makes exploration and discovery of the API and underlying data far easier than REST or RPC based APIs.
- API efficiency due to GraphQL's incremental delivery for state-less queries. It serves only the data properties that the client asks for. Furthermore, it supports @defer and @stream directives.
- Co-developed by two teams
- Public nodes are run by two independent teams (ECAD Labs and Agile Ventures), giving users of public nodes failover options
- Easy to deploy
- TezGraph is easily deploy-able to cloud or on-premise infrastructure
- Near real-time notifications on newly created head blocks, account/smart contract operations, validation and voting operations
- Ability to efficiently query information about accounts and operations (translations, delegations, originations, reveals, and endorsements).
- Ability to use out of the box Indexer node with Public API
- Ability to set up Indexer node on premise
- GitLab CI/CD
- Easy to deploy in a maximum of 4 steps
- Automatic Indexer data dumps with each release and for specific branches
- Consistent terminology between Query API and Subscription API
- Extendable design
- Monitoring: operations and performance
- Failover and high availability: AV and ECAD setup their own Indexer nodes
- Edo protocol compatibility
- Query validation and voting operations
- Bitmap support
- Layer-2 Indexing
- Taquito integration
- More filtering options